Prevention of Conflict of Interest Related to Duties of Public Servants
The purpose of the Act on the Prevention of Conflict of Interest Related to Duties of Public Servants is to prevent conflict of interest situations of public servants conducting public duties, by prohibiting public servants from seeking private interest in relation to their duties, to guarantee fair performance of public duties and secure public trust in the public institutions.
The Act on the Prevention of Conflict of Interest Related to Duties of Public Servants was enacted on May 18, 2021 and will be enforced on May 19, 2022.
Overview of the Act
Scope of application
- All the public institutions, including the National Assembly, courts, central administrative agencies, local governments, public service-related organizations, education offices, and national & public schools, etc.
- Public servants, including public officials, executive officers and employees of public service-related organizations and public institutions, and heads and employees of national & public schools(except faculty members of private schools and journalists)
the National Assembly, courts, the Constitutional Court, Election Commissions, the Board of Audit and Inspection, Corruption Investigation Office for High-ranking Officials, National Human Rights Commission,
central administrative agencies and their affiliated institutions, local governments and local councils, education offices, public institutions, public service-related organizations, national & public schools of each level
Public officials at national and local levels, executive officers and employees of public service-related organizations and public institutions, Heads and faculty members of national & public schools of each level
- 10 Standards of behavior to prevent conflict of interest among public servants
- Procedures for reporting and handling violations and penalties, etc.
10 Standards of behavior to prevent conflict of interest among public servants
Obligations to Report and Submit
- ① Report, apply for avoidance or recusal of persons with private interests
- ② Report possession and purchase of real estate related to duties of public organizations
- ③ Submit details of activities in private sector of high-ranking officials
- ④ Report any transactions with duty-related parties
- ⑤ Report any private contacts with retired officials
Restricted and Prohibited Activities
- ⑥ Restriction on duty-related outside activities
- ⑦ Restriction on employment of family members
- ⑧ Restriction on making negotiated contracts
- ⑨ Prohibition of private use of goods belongs to public agencies and making profits from such use
- ⑩ Prohibition of use of duty-related confidential information